Monday, February 20, 2012

Lissa's Story



Lissa Holguin (top row, 2nd to right) had never been to Guatemala, but felt the Lord leading her to get on that plane and go anyway.  


Mission trips are funny in that they don't always turn out as expected.  In fact, sometimes participants walk away with a heart more burdened than ever before.  But part of doing God's work is simply being available and trusting Him to work out any details, frustrations and hesitations in His perfect time.

Yep, Lissa cried at the airport when she said goodbye to her family this past June.  Upon arrival in Guatemala a few hours later, however, Lissa had no time for homesickness or worry.  The team hit the ground running as they always do, making the most of the short time allotted.

She distributed food to families, worked with the children at VBS, shoveled dirt to even out the foundation of the house her group built, painted it and helped fill it with furniture and supplies upon completion.  She my have been sweaty, tired and messy, but she definitely wasn't bored!

"When we worked with the orphanage and elderly home, I was the only Spanish interpreter!" Lissa said.  "This terrified me because my Spanish needs a lot of work, but I did it anyway."

She was quick to point out that God honored her willingness to leave her comfort zone.

"I was blessed beyond measure.  I love every person we met in Guatemala - I absolutely fell in love with a 12-year-old boy at the orphanage."

The team's accommodations were dorm-style, with about eight bunk beds to each room, as well as a communal living area and bathrooms with running water.  Lissa compared the stay with memories of Girl Scout and school trips - no air conditioning, and limited hot water, but everything was clean and in workable order.

"We weren't there on vacation, after all," she said.  "We were on the mission field and focused on others."

Besides, who cares about the indoors when the outdoors is so breathtaking?  A step through the doorway and visitor's find themselves in a world full of God's creative artistry and wonder.

Lissa also reported that the food is delicious, and laughingly warned that if team members aren't careful, they will gain weight despite all that labor!

Will she go on another trip if given the opportunity?  In a heartbeat, if God so wills!  She also hope to have the opportunity to take part in more evangelism.

In closing, Lissa shared a favorite memory from her trip:

"My favorite memory is probably picking up trash after the hot food service feeding we did.  There was trash everywhere, and it really affected me.  I was in tears as I picked up trash thinking to myself, 'Here we are trying to help but we have come and made a huge mess!'  As I have contemplated that moment I realize that there is always more to be done and the Lord will shine through us even if we make a big ol' mess of things."

-Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment